Friday, December 16, 2011

Giving is Inspiration

While this blog is still virtually unknown and in its infancy, I thought for the few wondering souls that have visited The Scenic Route, I would offer a little more understanding of myself as a writer.

To give insight and possibly help establish this blog’s development, I wanted to start out by experimenting and answering the one question many writers receive. That question being: “What inspires you?”

To answer this I first must say that writing has been a major part of my life for many years. I went from being a bedroom poet while in my teens, to an aspiring short story scribbler throughout my twenties, and now, to see my writing efforts published brings about an enormous feeling of self-gratification.

Although I do enjoy being a published writer, it is not about seeking the “fame and fortune” which so many other self-published authors long for. While making an honest living from my craft sounds pleasing, I instead place all my efforts into having a satisfied reading audience. I want to produce a story for the reader that not only sparks curiosity but also captures imagination.

Like many fiction writers, I strive to produce vivid imagery and descriptive characters. I try within all my creative writing powers to convey exactly what it is I have pulled from the deepest caverns of my mind. I try exposing to the reader the story’s intricacies with hopes of creating a more enjoyable reading experience.

When the late night pruning and polishing ends and all the necessary changes are in order, I consider only the reader’s best interest before settling on a final draft. The reader should always be the fuel for any writer’s creative engine.

Writing is about giving to the reader, and for me, that is quite inspiring.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post! After all, without our readers, where would we writers be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia,
    Thank you for the kind comment. And yes, without readers, writers are nothing more than lost 'key clackers.'

    ReplyDelete